Integrated Resources Plans
Integrated resource planning guidelines
Integrated resource planning was mandated by the Energy Policy Act of 1992. EPAct requires all Western Area Power Administration customers to submit IRPs to Western every five years, and the requirement is included in Western's power sales contracts with long-term firm customers.
The following is a summary of the current IRP regulations:
- Identify and compare of all practicable energy efficiency and energy supply resource options.
- Include action plan with timing set by customer.
- Describe efforts to minimize adverse environmental effects of new resource acquisitions.
- Provide ample opportunity for full public participation.
- Conduct load forecasting.
- Include brief description of measurement strategies for options identified in IRP to determine whether objectives are being met.